Assist SMEs in scaling up to become world class companies
SME Division Membership
No additional charge to IEEMA Members for subscribing SME Division
Summary of Division meetings: Objectives/ Key discussion points :
Problems being faced by MSMEs and their Solutions :
- Finance – MSMEs face problems in availing finance at cheap rates in a timely manner and with minimal collateral. This is often due to the lending institution’s dis-interest in a SME’s business and lack of education of the SME entrepreneur. SME Division is focusing on partnering with Lending Institutions and organizing Knowledge sharing sessions for the members to enhance their negotiation skills.
- Domestic Marketing – MSMEs face challenges in getting a bigger share of the business in the domestic market either due to stiff competition or high entry barriers (eg. Stringent Pre-qualification norms). SME Division is focusing on organizing Vendor Meets with major customers and SMEs to bridge the gap and facilitate business.
- Exports – are challenging for MSMEs due to the distance and cost involved in developing export customers. SME Division is focusing on educating SME’s into tapping ASEAN and SAARC countries and understanding the Duty regime.
- Non-adherence to Govt. Schemes – has floated various schemes for promotion of MSMEs which are not being adhered to in totality. SME Division has taken it up with the Ministry of MSME and is following up.
- Raw Material – Timely and cost effective availability of raw material is a challenge for most SMEs in the absence of Supply chain functions in their organisations. Moreover, small volumes make the sourcing more expensive. SME Division is focused on finding out ways and means to help SMEs make their sourcing more efficient.
- Enhanced Analytics within IEEMA – will be helpful in understanding the needs of MSMEs better and will also provide help in formulating tailor made programmes to address the pain points of MSMEs
Representation to MSME Ministry
Representation to Ministry of MSME was made to showcase the problems faced by Electrical Equipment SMEs in dealing with Power Utilities/DISCOMs. It was prepared on the basis of inputs collected from members on difficulties faced while tendering with PGCIL, NTPC, Railways and other utilities.
Meeting with Shri Sudhir Garg, Jt. Secretary, MSME
IEEMA Members interacted with Shri Sudhir Garg, Jt. Secretary, MSME at ELECRMA-2018 venue at Noida on 13th Feb 2018. During the discussion members informed the pain areas of MSMEs and as a reply Shri Garg and his Team explained the Schemes which are available to support MSMEs. Shri Garg had invited members to his office for further discussion.
Meeting with SIDBI
Meetings were initiated with Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI), Mumbai to explore avenues of working together for the benefit of the SME’s in IEEMA.
Meeting with Lending Institutions
Discussions / interactions are going on with Lending Institutions to explore avenues of working together for the benefit of the SME’s in IEEMA.
Divisional Events / Conferences :
- SME Conclave held on August 6, 2016 at Hotel Ramada, Navi Mumbai
- SME Conclave held on September 26, 2016 at “Tamarind Hall”, India Habitat Centre, New DelhI.
- SME Conclave on the theme “Enabling Effective Business Growth & Success” is being held in Vadodara on February 17, 2018
Short term & Long term Objectives / Action Plan for the Division :
- Increase in the No. of SME Division Members
- Minimum of 2 events to be hosted in a year
- Minimum 2 knowledge sharing sessions on key topics to address pain points of MSMEs
- Explore partnerships with relevant stakeholders to address pain points of MSMEs
- Showcase ‘Success Stories’ of MSMEs
- Increase engagement with Ministry of MSME with the aim of driving policy
- Representation to RBI / concerned authorities on financial challenges and problems faced by SMEs while doing business